Tuesday, October 13, 2015

Competitive Education

Tomorrow I take PSATS. I'd rather not take them, but I don't have a choice. You can read my opinions on standardized testing in my previous post. This post isn't about standardized testing, it's more to do with what I like to consider competitive education.
I'm sure everyone has had a teacher who announces the best test score, or who praises one student. This is toxic for all students. It convinces the kids who don't get praise that they're stupid and either causes extreme vanity or self-confidence issues in those who do receive it.
Learning is about understanding a concept, not about learning it the fastest. When kids think they have to be the first to learn something, they take in the subject for a test, then forget it as soon as possible. There's no real understanding. For the students who receive praise, they think they need to keep up this "standard". It becomes stressful and puts pressure on the student.
I feel that this comes from teachers. Not all teachers do this, however, those who do are creating an uncomfortable atmosphere for their students. Competition does not really need to be in education, just a want to learn.

No comments:

Post a Comment